As you might have read recently in the Cambridge News (read article here), Camyoga are teaming up with Woodlands Surgery on Bateman Street to offer Mindfulness sessions to the general public. After GPs at the surgery tried Mindfulness with Camyoga they simply had to get behind these sessions and offer their support. The first session, an Introduction to Mindfulness workshop, costs just £20 and is open to everyone. Click here to find out more and to book your place.
This week we met up with Dr Emma Tiffin, of Woodlands Surgery, to ask her a few questions about her experiences of mindfulness. Here's what she had to say!
1. Hi Emma! How long have you worked for NHS?
2. What is the surgery's main aim and what makes it so special compared to other surgeries?
To promote the health and wellbeing of all our patients and our local community. We have a beautiful, spacious new building which enables us to host an extended range of health and wellbeing service.
3. Why offer Mindfulness in surgery?
We believe that the mental health of our patients is as important as their physical health and that both influence each other. We see the effects of the pressure of modern life and value therapeutic strategies based on relaxation and dealing with stress.
4. How do you keep fit?
Yoga, gardening, using stairs instead of the lift at work, smiling and maintaining a positive attitude!
5. What's the biggest challenge of surgery?
Increased workload, more demands on the health service, shrinking financial NHS pot
6. What do you think is the biggest misconception general public have about GP's?
During the working day (averages 11 hours probably for most of us) and between clinics, GPs are relaxing, playing golf!
Actually we are catching up on administration (hospital letters, blood test results, home visits, phoning patients to answer queries etc) and having to run a business (GPs are independent contractors, ie. mini businesses that have to be financially viable.
7. Based on your experience, what are the 2 main potential benefits of doing Mindfulness?
Managing personal stress during the working day better. This facilitates better team working and a positive attitude with others.
8. If you didn't work for NHS where would your dream job be?
The NHS is my dream job, I live, breathe, sleep medicine. However I am also enjoying my regular radio slot on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and being a PR girl!
9. Tell us in 1 sentence 2 simple things the general public can do to help them maintain good health.
Think positive, eat a balanced diet.
to find out more about Camyoga's Introduction to Mindfulness Workshop at Woodlands.