Vegan Black-eyed Bean & Ginger Stew
Vegan Black-eyed Bean + Ginger Stew
2 x tins black-eyed beans | 2 tbsp oil | 2 white onions | 6 cloves garlic | 5cm fresh ginger | 3 sticks celery | 3 spring onions | bag of spinach | 1 red pepper | 250g mushrooms | 300ml veg stock | 3 tbsp dark soy sauce | 1 tsp yeast extract | salt + pepper
1) Drain the beans and set them aside. Peel and chop the garlic, onions and ginger. Slice the celery, spring onion and pepper. Quarter the mushrooms.
2) Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat, add the onions and celery, cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
3) Add the garlic, ginger, mushrooms, spring onion and peppers, lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for another 5 min, stirring occasionally.
4) Add the beans, stock, soy sauce and yeast extract. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer over a low heat for 20min.
5) Add the spinach and allow to wilt before seasoning well. Mash a few of the beans if you prefer a thicker sauce. Delicious served with rice or potatoes.
This recipe is taken from Sam's favourite cookery book, 'Another Dinner is Possible', published by AK press. It's packed full of fantastic, no-frills vegan recipes which the whole family will love. We definitely recommend investing in your own copy.