Alice's Vegan Pumpkin soup recipe - Caribbean spiced
Delicious vegan pumpkin soup recipe from Alice at the Camyoga kitchen - spiced with Carribean flavour
A delicious way to use your pumpkin this Halloween, with just a little kick of chilli and a hint of creamy coconut. Enjoy with crusty bread- perfect as a chilly autumnal lunch or light supper!
- 700g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped in to 1 inch chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs, tied with string
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- Around 500ml vegetable stock
- Half a can of coconut milk (around 200ml)
Heat the oven to 200°C. Place the pumpkin in a large baking tray along with the whole cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, allspice, chilli flakes and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Roast until tender (around 45 minutes), removing the cloves of garlic halfway through so they don’t overcook and burn.
- Meanwhile, heat the other tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion and carrot over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted pumpkin, garlic cloves and thyme to the pan, along with about 500ml of vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Before serving, remove the sprigs of thyme and blend until smooth. You may wish to add more vegetable stock to reach the desired consistency.
- Finally, add the coconut milk and season to taste.
[show-icon icon="Vegan Pumpkin soup"]Mmm mmmm mmmm Enjoy!