Vegan Root Vegetable and Lentil Cobbler
Sam's Vegan Root Vegetable Cobbler
1 onion | 1 leek | 4 sticks celery | 4 carrots | 2 tbsp oil | 300g mushrooms | 1 tsp dried thyme | 2 tsp marjoram | 2 tsp paprika | 750g assorted veg, rougly chopped | 100g split red lentils | 300ml vegetable stock | 2 x tins tomatoes | salt + pepper | 400g self raising flour | 100g margarine | 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley | 200ml soya milk
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees / Gas Mark 6. Slice the onion, leek, celery and carrot. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and fry gently for around 10min. Add the mushrooms, thyme, marjoram and paprika, cook for another 5 min.
2) Prepare the veg and add to the pan. Also add the stock, lentils and tomatoes, then simmer for around 20 mins, or until the lentils are just cooked. Season well.
3) Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the margarine. Stir in the parsley and add the milk, little by little, until you have a dough.
4) Roll the dough out on a clean surface (to around 1cm thick) and cut out circles.
5) Pour the sauce into a deep oven dish and top with the dough circles. Brush the top with a little soy milk and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.